In order to cater to the transport needs of the travelling public of the then state of Mysore, Mysore Government Road Transport Department (MGRTD) was inaugurated on 12th September 1948, with 120 buses.
The State Transport, which was being administered as a Department of the Govt. of Mysore was subsequently converted into an independent Corporation on 1st of August 1961, under Section 3 of the Road Transport Corporation Act, 1950 which was named as MSRTC (Now KSRTC).
Bifurcation of KSRTC/Formation of kkrtc
To increase operational efficiency, to provide quality transport service to the travelling public and to have an effective supervision on the operations of the Corporation, the State Government divided KSRTC and carved out two new Corporations, viz., the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) on 15-08-1997 with its corporate office at Bangalore and the North West Karnataka Road Transport Corporation with effect from 01-11-1997, with its corporate office at Hubli.
Afterwards One more Corporation called the North Eastern Karnataka Road Transport Corporation was also established to provide adequate, efficient, reliable and economically viable transport facility to the travelling public of the north eastern region of Karnataka State with effect from 15-08-2000 at Kalaburgi to cater to the north eastern districts of Karnataka, which became financially independent w.e.f. 01-10-2000.
Renaming: kkrtc to "KKRTC"
The North Eastern Karnataka Road Transport Corporation has been renamed as "Kalyana Karnataka Road Transport Corporation" by the State Government on 06.07.2021.
Administrative Jurisdiction of KKRTC
Growth of KKRTC
The Corporation had 6 divisions and 26 Depots with its Central Office at Kalaburagi. There were 74 bus stations with 82 wayside shelters and 26 city shelters. 2027 vehicles were operated with 10,005 employees initially and 7.88 lac passengers were carried per day.
The organization has grown tremendously since then. Currently (as on 2019-2020) the Corporation with headquarters at Kalaburagi, has 9 divisions, 53 depots, 152 bus stops, 971 Wayside Shelters and 160 City-Transport Shelters, Regional Workshop at Yadagir, Regional Training Center at Humanabad, Driver's Training Center at Hagaribommanahalli, Civil Engineering divisions at Kalaburgi and Ballari.
The Corporation currently having 20574 employees operates 4254 schedules with 4700 vehicles 13.87 lakh km per day carrying 13.58 lakh passengers. Inter-State services are being run for Maharashtra 434, Telangana 236, Andhra Pradesh 139, Tamilnadu 2 and for Goa state 40.